Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Untitled is Fantastic

To know me is to know I love hip hop.  Love.  The classic stuff.  The non-simplified, dime-a-dozen radio crap.  The original goodness.  The pioneers and trailblazers.  I don't believe Lil Wayne, Nicki Minaj, and the rest of the get-along gang embody hip-hop.  Rap artists, sure.  Commercial, absolutely.  Hit-makers, so says Billboard.  But that's about it in my most humblestest of opinions.  The sad thing is, too many do not know there is a difference.  There are those out to appreciate and cultivate the art and not just out to make a quick dollar over an over-used beat.

With all that said, James Dewitt Yancey is one of the best talents, if not The best, to ever grace this genre.  I was a late bloomer with J Dilla but a lover nonetheless.  His human soul left this earth way too soon (J Dilla bio) but his energy and legacy long remains.  He created some of my most favorite beats and produced some classic albums in the hip-hop and R&B world.  Being discovered and rediscovered over and over again.

His talent and pure genius inspired Miguel Atwood-Ferguson along with Carlos Nino along with a 60 piece orchestra to pay the most moving tributes I've ever heard.  They interpreted Jay's beats into raw emotion that overwhelms me.  Suite for Ma Dukes was created in honor of James for his mother.  Their take on Untitled/Fantastic is my favorite track from this composition (along with one of my favorite Slum Village tracks).  It is full of love and gives me chills with each listen.  Whenever things get crazy in the day-to-day lately, I stop and listen.  Whether you are a fan of James Yancey or not, this must be shared.  <3  Dilla Lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment